My first time... Part 1 (Flying to Brazil)

Confira a versão em português no fim do text.



My first time in Brazil for me was certainly an experience... 

Before Brazil the furthest away from home that I had ever been was the South of France, so unbeknown to me I was in for quite a culture shock. Gabriela and her friends helped me a little bit with the transition, I wasn't going completely blind but good or bad it was going to be something very different.


It wasn't just Brazil that was a new thing for me. Chichester, which is my home town, is roughly 60 miles or a bit less than 100km directly south of London, where Heathrow Airport is, and neither of my Parents could give me a lift. This meant I had to get a train to London and then use the Underground to get to Heathrow Airport. The train bit didn't bother me, what bothered me was having to navigate London Underground at rush hour with my luggage.


I hadn't used the Underground before on my own, let alone doing it for the first time on my own with luggage, in rush hour and then having to catch a plane at the end of it all, which also I had never done by myself before. It was a first for a lot of things and I was pretty stressed about it all, I can remember that quite clearly!


Now when I look back on it all I don't really understand what it was exactly that I thought was so complicated! The underground I think it was just that there are so many people and the airport I think was because the only time previous that I had been on a plane was when I was about 9 going to Paris with my parents and I didn't have to look where I was going then!


At least I didn't have to do anything really crazy like change plane on the way! That would have been the point where I would have chickened out! haha 13 years ago there was a direct flight to Salvador from London, it was with British airways and this was who I flew with. Now I don't think you can fly direct to Salvador, you have to change at least once either here in Brazil or in Europe (usually Spain or Portugal).


One thing has never changed for me in flying to Brazil and that is that its one of the most boring things I have ever done! I have never been able to sleep well on planes, I'm always the one looking around wide awake when all the shutters are closed, everything is dark and everyone is sleeping. The only time I ever slept from the time the plane took off to the plane landing was after Carnival!


I remember seeing all the city lights at night just before we were about to land and wondering what was going on down there. I had read a lot about the poverty and violence in Brazil and my imagination was going into over-drive. Finally we landed and stopped and all the Brazilians on the plane started clapping and making a lot of noise for the Captain, congratulating him on doing his job properly and landing the plane safely. As far as I know, it's just Brazilians that do this and I still find it as amusing today as the first time I landed in Brazil.

The Captain then made an announcement, and everyone quietened down to listen. I didn't understand any Portuguese but the one word I understood that the captain repeatedly was saying was "Fortaleza"! I knew this word, I knew it was a city further north and I knew most importantly it wasn't where I was going! The announcement finished and the Captain proceeded to make the announcement in English and of course the Brazilians started making a lot of noise again and I couldn't hear NADA!


At this point I was really (excuse the language) shitting myself, I really thought I had somehow got on the wrong flight and had gone to Fortaleza! I got my hand luggage and then followed everyone off the plane. I was searching frantically for signs that this was Salvador and not Fortaleza, even after passing through immigration I was still wondering whether this was Salvador or not. It wasn't till I went through into departures and saw Gabriela, her Father and some of the friends that she had introduced me to before, that I could breath a sigh of relief and realise I was where I was meant to be!


I say I could breath a sigh of relief, it was only really half a breath. I now remembered that I was meant to already know Gabriela and this feeling never really relaxed the entire 2.5 weeks I was there for my first visit!


My first impression of Brazil was the heat that hit me the moment I got off the plane, my second impression was that I really stuck out like a soar thumb here and my third impression was the impression that Brasil wants to give 1st time gringos when you leave Salvador airport. For people that have never left from Salvador airport before, its quite beautiful, the sides of the road are thick with bamboo trees that arch up over the road from both sides and at night the trees are all lit up trying to deceive you into thinking your in the middle of the Amazon, because thats what all gringos think Brasil is right? But after about 1 km you soon realise your not in the rainforest!  

   
The road leading in and out of Salvador Airport

Gabriela lived in Pituba, just the drive from the airport to Gabriela's house in Pituba was a lot for me to take in. The buildings were different, the Favelas, the houses, the very crazy and dangerous driving, the smell... I was taking this all in while Gabriela's best friend was taking the mick out of me for how I was pronouncing her name! At least the people had a good sense of humour, something us Brits are well known for Emoticon tongue My first time in Brazil went by in a flash but one thing that is unavoidable for me to forget, is... 



Leia também em português:

A primeira vez que eu vim ao Brasil foi realmente uma experiência e tanto...

Antes de vir pro Brasil, o mais longe de casa que eu tinha ido tinha sido o sul da França, 
então eu ainda não sabia que estava me metendo num choque cultural daqueles. Gabriela 
e seus amigos tinham me ajudado um pouco com a transição, então eu não estava 
completamente às cegas, mas, mal ou bem, eu estava seguindo pra algo bem diferente.

Não era só o Brasil que era novidade. Chichester, a cidade de onde eu sou, fica a uns 
100km ao sul de Londres, onde fica o aeroporto de Heathrow, e meus pais não tinham 
como me dar uma carona. Isso quer dizer que tive que pegar um trem pra Londres e depois pegar um metrô pra chegar no aeroporto. A parte do trem não me incomodou muito, o barril foi ter que andar pelo metrô de Londres, na hora do rush, com minha bagagem toda.

Eu nunca tinha andado sozinho de metrô, quanto mais fazer isso pela primeira vez,
sozinho, com bagagem e na hora do rush pra, no final do babado todo, pegar um avião (coisa que eu também nunca tinha feito sozinho). Foi a minha primeira vez em um monte de coisas e eu me lembro bem que tava muito estressado a respeito de tudo.

Agora, analisando as coisas, eu nem consigo entender muito bem o que foi exatamente que eu tinha achado tão complicado! Acho que, com relação ao metrô, é só que tem tanta gente! E, no aeroporto, eu acho que foi porque a última vez que eu tinha estado num avião foi quando eu tinha 09 anos e tava indo pra Paris com meus pais e não precisava ficar prestando atenção pra onde eu tava indo.

Pelo menos eu não tive que fazer nada doidão, tipo mudar de avião no meio do caminho! Aí é que eu ia ter dado pra trás, com certeza!  haha Treze anos atrás, tinha um voo direto de Londres para Salvador, era com a British Airways, e foi nesse voo que eu vim. Hoje em dia, acho que não da mais pra fazer voo direto pra Salvador, você tem que mudar de avião pelo menos uma vez, seja aqui no Brasil ou na Europa (geralmente na Espanha ou Portugal).

Um negócio que nunca mudou pra mim nisso de voar pro Brasil é que, até hoje, essa é uma das coisas mais chatas que eu já fiz na vida! Eu nunca consegui dormir em aviões, eu sempre sou aquela pessoa que fica olhando ao redor, super acordado, quando todas as janelinhas estão fechadas e tudo tá escuro e todo mundo está dormindo. A única vez que eu dormi da hora que peguei o avião até a chegada foi depois do Carnaval!

Eu lembro de ter visto todas as luzes da cidade de noite, logo antes da gente pousar, e ter ficado me perguntando o que estaria acontecendo lá embaixo. Eu tinha lido um monte sobre a pobreza e violência no Brasil  e minha imaginação tava indo a todo vapor. Finalmente a gente pousou e parou e todos os brasileiros do avião começaram a aplaudir o capitão e a fazer muito barulho pra agradecê-lo por ter feito seu trabalho direito e pousado o avião em segurança. Até onde eu sei, só brasileiros fazem isso e eu ainda acho isso tão divertido quanto da primeira fez que eu pousei no Brasil.

Foi daí que o capitão fez um anúncio e todo mundo ficou calado pra escutar. Eu não entendia nada de português, mas a única palavra que entendi e que o capitão ficava repetindo toda hora foi "Fortaleza"! Eu sabia essa palavra, sabia que era uma cidade mais pro norte e o mais importante é que eu sabia que não era pra lá que eu tava indo! O anúncio acabou e o capitão começou a fazer o mesmo pronunciamento em inglês, e é claro que a galera começou a fazer uma algazarra de novo e eu não consegui ouvir NADA!

Nessa hora, eu já estava (com o perdão da palavra) me cagando todo! Eu realmente achava que, de algum jeito, tinha pegado o voo errado e tinha ido parar em Fortaleza! Peguei minha bagagem de mão e depois segui todo mundo pra fora do avião. Fiquei loucamente procurando por sinais de que estava em Salvador e não em Fortaleza e, até depois de ter passado pela imigração, eu ainda tava me perguntando se estava em Salvador ou não. Só quando eu saí pelo desembarque e vi Gabriela, o pai dela e alguns amigos que ela tinha me apresentado antes,  que consegui respirar aliviado e perceber que eu estava mesmo onde deveria estar!

Eu disse que respirei aliviado, mas só foi uma meia respiração. Acabei me lembrando que supostamente eu já deveria conhecer Gabriela e esse sentimento nunca me deixou relaxar durante as 2,5 semanas que eu estava aqui pela primeira vez!

Minha primeira impressão do Brasil foi o calor que me atingiu assim que eu saí do avião. Minha segunda impressão foi que eu super me destacava na multidão aqui. Minha terceira impressão foi sobre a impressão que o Brasil quer passar pra os gringos que vêm pela primeira vez, assim que saem do aeroporto de Salvador. Pra galera que nunca saiu pelo aeroporto de Salvador antes, é bem bonito. A lateral da rua é cheia de árvores de bambu que fazem um arco e, de noite,  as árvores ficam todas iluminadas, tentando enganar você e pra você achar que está no meio da Amazônia, porque é isso que todos os gringos acham que o Brasil é, né? Mas depois de mais ou menos 1km, você percebe que não está na floresta!

Gabriela morava na Pituba e, só o caminho do aeroporto pra casa de Gabi na Pituba, já foi muita coisa preu digerir. Os prédios eram diferentes, as favelas, as casas, a galera dirigindo feito doida, o cheiro... Eu estava digerindo isso tudo enquanto a melhor amiga de Gabriela ficava tirando onda com a minha cara por causa do jeito que eu pronunciava o nome dela! Pelo menos a galera tinha um bom senso de humor, algo pelo qual nós, britânicos, somos conhecidos.

Minha primeira vez no Brasil passou bem rápido, mas uma coisa que eu nunca vo conseguir esquecer é...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Clique aqui pra curtir minha pagina no facebook e ver as atualizações no facebook e meus novos posts!

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram